Milford loses to Fairfield in ice hockey

One year after reaching the CIAC Division II  semifinal round and losing to Amity Regional of Woodbridge, 5-4, the run in this year’s state tournament was short-lived for the No. 11 seed Milford Co-op hockey team, as the Indians were defeated by Fairfield Warde-Ludlowe, 4-1, on Tuesday night at Bridgeport’s Wonderland Of Ice.

Taking a 2-0 lead into the third period, the No. 6 seed Mustangs saw their lead cut to 2-1 when Milford’s Anthony Gobany’s got his teams’ lone goal of the night at the 2:40 mark.

But the Indians, despite nine shots in the period, could never get any closer and eventually gave up goals to junior Jake Fuss, his third of the game, (at 11:05) and to senior Trevor Demilt on a power-play with 58.6 seconds left to play, creating the final outcome.

Milford closed out its season with a 10-10-1 record while the Mustangs will take a 15-7 mark into a quarter-final round game against Branford, the division’s No. 3 seed, on Friday night.

Warde-Ludlowe went out to a 1-0 first-period lead on a goal by Fuss at the 2:03 mark and pushed that to 2-0 on Fuss’ second goal which came at 8:40 of the middle period.

Milford was out-shot, 28-17, on the night and managed only eight shots going into the third period.

Goalie Sean Rowland made 24 saves for Milford, while Fairfield’s Kyle Greenhut came up with 16, eight of them in the third period.

“We had a few breakdowns tonight and it hurt us,” said Milford assistant coach Bob Riordan, filling in for head coach Sal Follo, who broke his ankle following the team’s final game of the regular season back in February

“Nobody even counted us to be in the tournament. But these kids fought tooth and nail and got to this point.
“We did with without our high-scoring line (of Zach White, Willie Vitelli and Ben Lavallee , all of whom graduated last spring).

“This was truly a lunch-pail group who came everyday to practice and went into games with the same attitude. And that was to battle until it was over.”