Lawmen knocking on door of playoffs

Jonathan Law’s Jucar Lopes scored off a rebound to tie the game and the Lawmen played Amity Regional to a 1-1 draw in an SCC boys soccer match in Milford.

The Lawmen need three points in their last four games to qualify for the state tournament. Sheehan will visit Law Field Friday at 5 p.m.

Kevin Linn was on the receiving end of a free kick over the top of the Spartan defense, and in front of Amity keeper Matt D’Onofrio. Linn somehow got off a semi-bicycle kick from a difficult angle that D’Onofrio deflected to his left. Lopes was there to knock the ball home six minutes into the second half.

Amity’s Thomas Kanter got free behind the Law defense and scored off the breakaway at the 24:13 mark to put his team in front.

“There keeper (D’Onofrio; 8 saves) was phenomenal,” Law coach Mike Gruber said. “Jack (Pincus Doyle) made a couple of key saves for us, two in the eighth minute.

“It was a great game to watch. It was played back and forth in the midfield. Each team performed well. A draw was a fair result.”

Amity (5-4-4) had won a 2-0 decision from the Lawmen (4-6-2) earlier in the season.

“They got us on a corner and then a counter,” Gruber said. “Today we put more numbers back to help defend against their counters. We also wanted to limit them on set pieces (corners).”

Pincus Coyle made 13 saves and showed the instincts needed to be a top goaltender y coming off his line to snare numerous Spartan challenges.

“Jack is getting better and better every game,” Gruber said of his junior keeper. “His confidence is growing and he is one of the most technically sound goalies in the SCC.”

Zach Anderson, Samuel Maddela, Colin White, Troy Anderson and Kyle Goglia were in charge of stopping Amity’s dangerous attack, led by Diego Rodriguez and Kanter.

Law’s midfielders Dennis Sweeney, Maher Sassaoglu, John Vitale, Kris Gjuraj, Matt Tournas, and Lopes stood toe-to-toe with Amity’s best throughout the grueling 80 minutes.

Linn and Andrew Frenzel looked to pressure the Amity defense.

Linn came in on D’Onofrio in the 19th minute, with Spartan Thomas Swat on his hip, and D’Onofrio was able to block his shot. Law got a corner off the play, but was unable to sustain any momentum.

Law’s best chance to tie the game in the first half came with 10 minutes remaining.

Linn split two defenders and back kicked the ball to Sweeney. A senior tri-captain, Sweeney fought his was past a defender and while off balance put a blast on net that D’Onofrio somehow knocked aside. Sweeney sprawled to get a foot on the rebound, but it carried just wide.

The best opportunity for the Lawmen to take the lead came in the ninth minutes of the second half.

Sweeney made a quick and strong throw-in to Gjuraj in the final six. He one-timed a shot that tipped off a lunging D’Onofrio’s fingers and off the top crossbar.

Amity had its unwelcome meeting with the frame with 15 minutes remaining.

Kanter was fouled just outside the penalty box and to Pincus Coyle’s left.

Rodriguez took the direct kick and the ball carried over the keeper, only to clang off the crossbar. Lopes did a great job getting to the loose ball in a crowd and was able to clear.

Vitale had to leave the game after being injured looking to head in a corner kick for Law with 23 minutes remaining. Gruber mixed and matched Goglia, Tournas and Nick Dostal to keep the backline strong.