Boys lacrosse: Foran High defeats Jonathan Law

Foran High’s Jake Lambert located the loose ball right in front of Jonathan Law goalie Tanner Georgelos, scooped it up and fired it home, assuring the Lions’ boys lacrosse team a 13-10 win over their cross-city rival at the Vito DeVito Sports Complex.

It was to put it simply, one of those nights for Lambert. His six-goal outburst propelled the Lions to their fourth win this season, and kept them unbeaten (7-0) in their now four-year varsity series with the Lawmen.

“We were struggling coming into this game,” said Lambert, one of four senior captains for coach Brian Adkins’ team. “If we had let this one get away from us, our chances of making the state playoffs would’ve gotten very slim. It was very much a must win.”

Lambert was Foran’s big star for the night, especially in the fourth quarter when the Lions began to wear down the Lawmen. He scored four of his six goals in those 12 minutes, including one while making a nice cut to the net with 5:15 to play for an 11-9 lead.

“Jake is one of those kids whose game has gotten better and better since his freshman year, when he weighed about 130 pounds and played midfield,” Adkins said. “We moved him to attack as a junior, he began to bulk up, and he became a scorer. This certainly was a game that we desperately needed. We hadn’t won a game in a week and a half. Things weren’t looking good.”

Foran (4-6) will need to win three of its remaining six games in order to make the states. The loss dropped Law to 6-7, one win shy of qualifying for states.

“For us to battle them as well as we did for as long as we did with only five players on our bench is a testament to how hard this group is also to fight,” said Law coach Mike Forget. “What we have is the kids who want to play.”

Law took the initial 1-0 lead on a goal by Tyler Cavallaro (his first of two along with two assists) at 6:52. Lambert brought Foran even with an unassisted goal at 6:08, and two more ties took place before the period ended deadlocked at 4-4.

They were also tied, 5-5, at halftime. Cole Egersheim’s goal at 9:58 of the second had given Law a 5-4 lead before Foran’s Steven Lynch netted a goal with 34.9 seconds left.

Law carried a 17-12 lead on shots into the second half. Adkins switched goalies, taking Austin Jennings out and replacing him with Joe Della Monica, who made three saves, all big ones.

The Lions, running players in and out of the game, started to wear the Lawmen down. Still, it took two goals in the final five-plus minutes for Foran, which had four man-advantages scores in the game, to lead 10-8 with 12 minutes remaining.

“We had an edge there with the players,” Adkins said. “But they (Law) came to play us tonight. Despite their numbers, they were very formidable. This was a game right down to the end.”

That’s when Lambert’s goal instincts kicked in. Lynch, Ryan Manning and Lance DiNatale, who won many crucial face-offs, all had two goals apiece. Luke Gibbs had three assists.

Law though won the battle of the shots, 23-18. David Patrick (assist) and Egersheim scored three goals apiece. Tyler Cavallaro scored two goals and had two assists. Hayden Hulme had two goals and an assist. Jimmy Boyle had an assist.

“We need one more win to make the state tournament,” Forget said. “It would be nice to get it. These kids have worked so hard.”