Ben Blake outlines accomplishments of past four years
I would like to extend a special thank you to all the citizens of Milford for allowing me the honor of serving as Mayor of our great city these past four years. I have lived here all my life, and Milford is where my wife, Sandy, and I have chosen to raise our three children, Carter, Caroline and Tucker.
Working hard as your mayor continues to be an incredible experience and I hope that I have lived up to the expectations and trust you placed in me four years ago.
Over the past four years, we have come together as a community to face formidable challenges and tragedies, and we’ve also celebrated countless achievements and successes. I’m proud of the way the people of this great city have stood together, encouraged each other, and supported one another.
We have also seen necessary, healthy and beneficial changes over the past four years. We are keeping pace with an ever-evolving world and we are implementing and embracing new platforms to better engage residents, new technologies to better manage operations, and new processes to better deliver critical services. At the same time, we are maintaining our time-honored traditions and preserving the quaint New England character we hold dear.
With the help of this entire community, we have accomplished a great deal over the past four years, as we have:
1. Secured tens of millions of dollars in new grants allowing us to make significant upgrades to our infrastructure and open space without increasing taxes;
2. Created a business-friendly climate which has attracted and brought more new businesses to Milford than ever before;
3. Invested heavily in education and are committed to the future success of all our students;
4. Expanded and improved Milford’s Senior Tax Relief program;
5. Saved millions of dollars by renegotiating what we pay for electricity and health insurance, as well as the interest rates we pay for our debt service;
6. Prioritized long overdue school building projects;
7. Passed four consecutive, very lean budgets;
8. Implemented comprehensive energy improvements in all City buildings;
9. Identified and enacted new revenue-generating programs to ease the burden on taxpayers; and
10. Streamlined City operations through thrift and common sense.
While I am pleased with these accomplishments, what I am most proud of is being a part of this wonderful community. Each time I visit a Milford school, or meet with a new business, or talk to a resident, I’m encouraged by all that is happening and energized for the good work yet to be done. As mayor, I am committed to protecting and enhancing the very qualities that make Milford - Milford.
Therefore, I respectfully ask that you allow me to continue the important work I began over these past four years. I proudly stand by my record of public service which is long and well documented, and I ask that you judge my candidacy based on the job I’ve done as your Mayor.
As the election approaches, I again ask for your support and your vote on November 3rd.