2 dogs rescued by Milford firefighters; homeowner, pets given oxygen
MILFORD — Two small dogs were rescued by firefighters after an intense kitchen fire in an Elizabeth Street house Tuesday evening.
The call came in at 7:51 p.m. from the Standard Alarm monitoring company for a smoke detector activated in a hallway in the single-family home.
The owner, who is deaf, did not hear the alarm from the smoke detector, but luckily had a hard-wired system that is monitored by a 24-hour service.
Within minutes, firefighters arrived to find the ranch-style home with heavy smoke pushing from the doorway, according to a release.
The elderly homeowner was found standing outside the house. He told firefighters that he had two small dogs that were still in the house.
The homeowner tried to reenter the home to get his dogs, “but was quickly removed by fire department personnel and advised to stay out of the dwelling,” Battalion Chief Thomas Thornberg said.
Fire crews bringing hose line into the home through the front door found “a well advanced kitchen fire which was extending into the adjacent room,” Thornberg said.
“As the fire was being extinguished a second crew searched the smoke filled house finding and removing two small dogs,” the release said.
Thornberg said the owner and the two dogs were “administered oxygen and monitored due to the amount of smoke they were exposed to.”
“Crews searched the rest of the home for any possible additional victims and fire extension,” the release said. “A ventilation hole was cut in the roof above the kitchen to remove the smoke, heat and keep the fire from spreading to the rest of the house.”
According to Thornberg, “The kitchen sustained extensive damage and the rest of the house had heavy smoke and heat damage throughout.”
Thornberg said firefighters had the blaze under control in 15 minutes, and opened up walls and celing to make sure the fire was completely out, including using thermal imaging cameras in adjacent rooms.
The Red Cross is is aiding the homeowner and his pets, Thornberg said.
“The Milford Fire Department wants to emphasize that once you leave your house that has a fire, do not make any attempts to reenter the dwelling for anything,” Thornberg said.