During the extremely cold winter weather expected this weekend, homes and business that use propane to generate heat or run appliances should make sure to take the following steps to keep everyone safe and warm:
- Check your chimneys, flue pipes, vent connectors, and propane tank for damage, blockage, or debris caused by snow or ice. Use a broom rather than a shovel, and clear these areas frequently. This will help reduce the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning due to blocked or damaged chimneys, flues, and vents.
- Use extreme caution when operating portable generators. Never use a portable generator (gasoline, diesel, or propane) indoors or in enclosed areas. This can result in carbon monoxide poisoning or death.
- Never use a stove for space heating and never use outdoor propane appliances indoors or in enclosed areas. Proper ventilation is necessary for their safe operation; and carbon monoxide fumes emitted can be lethal. Only use appliances indoors that are designed and approved for indoor use.