FEMA urges Americans to use FEMA smartphone app to prepare for disasters
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is urging residents across the nation to download and use the FEMA smartphone app. The app is designed to help families prepare for a wide array of natural and man-made disasters, and can help affected Americans recover, should disaster strike. FEMA officials will be available for interviews to discuss the importance of residents preparing for severe weather, and specific features contained in the app that can help families and individuals stay safe and recover from disasters.
According to a recent survey by Pew Research, 40% of Americans have used their smartphone to look up government services or information. Additionally, a majority of smartphone owners use their devices to keep up to date with breaking news, and to be informed about what is happening in their community.
Some key features of the app include:
- National Weather Service Alerts: The app enables users to receive weather alerts from the National Weather Service for up to five locations across the nation. This new feature allows users to receive alerts on severe weather happening anywhere they select in the country, even if the phone is not located in the area, making it easy to follow severe weather that may be threatening family and friends.
- Safety Tips: Tips on how to stay safe before, during, and after over 20 types of hazards, including floods, hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes.
- Preparation Checklist: Helps users put together emergency kits and develop family communication plans to determine how they will reunite with loved ones in the event of a disaster.
- Maps of Disaster Resources: Users can locate and receive driving directions to open shelters and disaster recovery centers.
- Apply for Assistance: The app provides easy access to apply for federal disaster assistance.
- Information in Spanish: The app defaults to Spanish-language content for smartphones that have Spanish set as their default language.
The latest version of the FEMA app is available for free in the App Store for Apple devices and Google Play for Android devices.
For more information visit fema.gov/mobile-app