Unattended candle sparks condo fire near Foran High Friday

A burning candle that ignited nearby combustibles caused a fire in a Foran Road condominium Friday morning, according to the Milford Fire Marshal’s office.

No one was injured, and only minor damage was reported. But a woman and her child had to be relocated, and other occupants of the building were evacuated into the cold outdoors as the fire was extinguished.

The Milford Fire Department responded to the fire at 17 Foran Road at 8:57 a.m. Friday. Upon arrival, smoke could be seen coming from Unit #40 on the second floor of the 10-unit apartment building, according to Fire Department Spokesman Greg Carman.

“A mother and her young child were able to exit the building safely and firefighters were able to extinguish the fire quickly,” Carman said. “Most of the damage was confined to the bathroom, where the fire originated, but there was some associated smoke and heat damage throughout the unit.”

The other units of the building were evacuated as a complete search of the building was done to look for any extension of the fire to any other part of the building.

Due to the cold temperatures, the Milford Transit Authority brought a bus to the scene to provide a warming station while the building occupants were displaced. The building management company was able to relocate the mother and child to a vacant unit within the complex and the other tenants of the building will be allowed to return to their own apartments, Carman said.

“While most of our fire apparatus was engaged at this scene, the West Shore Fire Department of West Haven sent one of their trucks to Milford to assist with any other emergencies that might occur,” Carman said.

All fire personnel were cleared from the scene by 10:37 a.m.