Dryer fire displaces family of four and 3 dogs

A dryer fire displaced a family of four with three dogs early Wednesday morning in Milford.  

Fire dispatchers received a 911 call at 6:56 a.m. reporting the incident.

Firefighters arrived at the scene and found smoke coming from the lower level garage area of the two-story residence at 65 William St.

“A hose line was advanced into the structure where a dryer fire was found in the lower level laundry room,” said Fire Battalion Chief Anthony Fabrizi. “The blaze was extinguished very quickly, confining the flames to the laundry room area. However, smoke damage did extend throughout the single family structure.”

The family escaped, but firefighters had to rescue one dog from the home.

“The homeowner made an unsuccessful attempt to extinguish the blaze before the firefighters had arrived,” Fabrizi said. “She was treated on scene for smoke inhalation and transported by  Fire Paramedics to Milford Hospital for evaluation. One firefighter was injured while rescuing the dog and was transported to Milford Hospital for evaluation and treatment.”

A Milford Red Cross representative arrived on scene to provide assistance for the displaced family.

Milford’s Fire Marshal’s division is investigating the incident.

“When a structure fire occurs, it is imperative to evacuate the residence and call 911 from outside of the building,” Fabrizi said. “Attempts to extinguish the fire should be left to properly trained and equipped fire personnel. As a reminder...Proper functioning smoke and carbon monoxide detectors save lives. Please check yours today.”