Cause of death not yet determined for person found in burning car

The cause of death of a person found in a burning car near the Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center in Milford Friday night has not been determined yet.

According to the state medical examiner’s office, it may take six to eight weeks to determine the cause of death, which an office spokesperson said is the usual timeframe. The person’s identity has not been confirmed yet. The state medical examiner’s office has a tentative identity and is waiting for police to confirm it, the spokesperson said.

Sources have said the deceased is an older Milford man.

On Monday, the smell of smoke could still be detected past the Audubon, at a wooden walkway that is now closed to pedestrians. A pot of flowers has been placed at the start of the boardwalk, which leads across the beach and toward the water.

Milford police, fire and other agencies are investigating the death and the fire.

According to Fire Battalion Chief Anthony Fabrizi, at about 10:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 7, Milford firefighters responded to a report of a car fire in the area of 1 Milford Point Road.

When they arrived, they found a car fully engulfed in flames near the Connecticut Audubon Society. Fire crews deployed a hose line to extinguish the blaze, and discovered the body of a deceased person inside the vehicle. Firefighters did not say where inside the car the body was found.

A neighbor said he could see flames rising about 12 feet off the ground.

The area where the car was found can be accessed either through the Audubon lot or a private road that leads out to a gated section of homes. Gates are usually closed at night at both the Audubon and the roadway to the private homes. 

Milford’s Fire Marshal’s division, along with Milford police, The Connecticut State Police Fire & Explosion Investigation Unit, and the Connecticut State Medical Examiner were all on the scene Friday night to investigate. The agencies have been working in conjunction with one another to determine the identity of the victim, as well as the cause of the fire, Fabrizi said.