Pallets stacked too close to heat caused Walmart fire
Pallets of store merchandise stacked too closely to ceiling mounted radiant heaters caused Tuesday’s fire at Walmart, fire officials said Wednesday.
The early evening fire broke out at the Milford Walmart, located at 1365 Boston Post Road, around 5 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 20. A 911 call was received from a Walmart employee reporting a fire in the building, according to Battalion Chief Anthony Fabrizi.
Firefighting units arrived to find a large volume of smoke visible from the fenced area of the garden center where pallets of store merchandise are kept, Fabrizi said.
“The building's fire sprinkler system had activated which prevented the blaze from spreading,” he said. “Firefighters managed to quickly extinguish the remainder of the fire and safely remove the burned items to the exterior.”
The store was evacuated and closed for business during the fire and investigation. No injuries were reported.