A furnace malfunction caused a fire in a Milford condominium last week, fire officials said.

The condominium owner suffered smoke inhalation and was treated and released from Bridgeport Hospital following the fire last Thursday. Two cats died of smoke inhalation, and a third cat survived, firefighters said.

The fire broke out last Thursday morning at about 10:15 a.m. at 52 Greenview Lane, which is the Glenwood Condominium complex off Naugatuck Avenue. Fire Department Spokesman Greg Carman said the condominium owner was out and returned home to find a fire in her laundry/furnace room. She tried to put the fire out herself while a neighbor called 9-1-1.

Fire damage was confined to the small room where the blaze started, but Carman said there was smoke damage throughout the unit.

There also was smoke damage in two units to the right and to a common stairwell, firefighters said.

One neighbor said some of the furnaces in the complex are 28 years old.