Fire rips through Underhill Road house
Fire ripped through a Cape Cod-style home at 28 Underhill Road in the Meadowside area shortly after 2 p.m. Monday.
Firefighters said there was damage to both the first and second floor of the house. No one was injured. Fire Department Spokesman Greg Carman said one person was home but got outside safely.
"Today, 2:16 p.m., the Milford Fire Department received several 911 calls reporting a structure fire at 28 Underhill Road," according to a press release issued by Carman. "Arriving firefighters found a heavy volume of fire coming from the rear of the home and beginning to extend to the detached garage. Multiple hose lines were used to contain and extinguish the fire while additional crews were assigned to protect another home that was in close proximity."
The person inside the home was able to exit the home without any injuries and there were no injuries reported to any of the firefighters. There was extensive damage to the first and second floors and moderate damage to the garage. The home owners will be able to retrieve some belongings, but the house will not be habitable, Carman said.
Firefighters on Tuesday said the fire started in the kitchen and that it was caused by someone cooking on the stove.
According to city records, the 1,168-square-foot house was built in 1942. The house is located across from a neighborhood playground, near Argyle and Greenfield roads.