Extension cord caused Milford Point Road house fire

UPDATE: The Milford Fire Marshal’s division has concluded that improper use of an extension cord to power a microwave oven was the cause of the fire. The cord had been placed under carpets and through a doorjamb causing undue wear to the cord, which in turn ignited the blaze.

"It is imperative that all extension cords be used in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations, in order to prevent a fire or other electrical hazards," said Battalion Chief Anthony Fabrizi.

INITIAL ARTICLE: No one was injured in a single family house fire on Milford Point Road Thursday afternoon, but fire officials say the house suffered considerable damage.

At about 3:30 p.m. Thursday, Milford Fire dispatch received multiple 911 calls reporting a structure fire inside a single family residence at 334 Milford Point Road.

Firefighters from Quint 3, Engine 4, Engine 7, Engine 1, Tower 1, Medic 2 and Car 4 responded to the scene.

Firefighters encountered heavy smoke and fire while making an aggressive interior attack with a hose line, according to Battalion Chief Anthony Fabrizi.

“The residence suffered extensive damage and is untenable, even though the fire was brought under control very quickly,” Fabrizi said.

The occupants were not home at the time of the fire and no injuries have been reported.