Extension cord caused Milford Point Road fire last week

Improper use of an extension cord to power a microwave oven was the cause of a fire last week on Milford Point Road.

“The cord had been placed under carpets and through a door jamb, causing undue wear to the cord, which in turn ignited the blaze,” according to Fire Battalion Chief Anthony Fabrizi.

No one was injured in the single-family house fire at 334 Milford Point Road last Thursday, Feb. 18, but fire officials say the house suffered considerable damage.

Firefighters from Quint 3, Engine 4, Engine 7, Engine 1, Tower 1, Medic 2 and Car 4 responded to the scene.

Firefighters encountered heavy smoke and fire while making an aggressive interior attack with a hose line.

“The residence suffered extensive damage and is untenable, even though the fire was brought under control very quickly,” Fabrizi said.

The occupants were not home at the time of the fire and no injuries have been reported. The Milford Fire Marshal’s office determined the cause of the blaze.

“It is imperative that all extension cords be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations, in order to prevent a fire or other electrical hazards,” Fabrizi said.