Videos show ex-Memphis cops, including CT high school grad, in deadly beating of Tyre Nichols

The City of Memphis on Friday night released videos showing five of its former police officers, including Connecticut high school grad Desmond Mills Jr., in the deadly beating of Tyre Nichols earlier this month.

Mills, who graduated Bloomfield High School in 2008, and the four other officers have been fired and face criminal charges after the confrontation with the 29-year-old Nichols, a Black motorist during a traffic stop for driving recklessly.

The officers, who are all Black men, each face charges of second-degree murder and other offenses. 

The graphic videos released Friday night show the officers beating Nichols as he screamed for his mom. 

The footage shows police beating the FedEx worker for three minutes while screaming profanities at him throughout the attack. The Nichols family legal team has likened the assault to the infamous 1991 police beating of Los Angeles motorist Rodney King.

Warning: These videos are graphic and may be very disturbing to some viewers.

The videos show officers pulling Nichols from his vehicle while he claimed he did nothing wrong. As Nichols got on the ground to comply with their orders, officers continued to yell at him and threatened to use a Taser, the video shows. 

"All right, I'm on the ground," Nichols said, while he was on the ground. Officers continued to yell at him and threatened him with a Taser and Nichols responded by calmly telling them to "stop," the video shows. 

Warning: These videos are graphic and may be very disturbing to some viewers.

Another officer threatened to break Nichols' arms if he didn't put them behind his back, according to the footage. 

"You guys are really doing a lot right now," Nichols said while lying down, surrounded by officers who repeatedly screamed demands, the video showed. "I'm just trying to go home."

Warning: These videos are graphic and may be very disturbing to some viewers.

But moments later, the videos show Nichols broke free from the officers. One of the officers then used a Taser on Nichols as he ran away, the video shows.

The officers are seen on the videos chasing after Nichols before getting him on the ground again on a nearby street. However, the officers continued to struggle and are seen punching Nichols as they repeatedly told him to put his hands behind his back, the videos show.

Nichols is eventually seen placed in handcuffs and was left propped up next to a car, but he struggled to remain upright and fell to the ground as medics arrived, the videos show.

Warning: These videos are graphic and may be very disturbing to some viewers.

Attorney Blake Ballin, who is representing Mills, told CNN he hadn't seen the videos as of Friday morning, but didn't believe his client "was capable" of delivering the blows that caused Nichols' death. 

"I've looked him in the eye," Ballin said Friday morning. "I know the kind of person he is. I've talked with other people who have seen the video and I don't believe Mr. Mills is capable of that act."

Ballin said he expects the videos will show "my client is not guilty of the crimes he's charged with." 

Stan Simpson, a spokesperson for Bloomfield Public Schools, confirmed Mills graduated from the school district, but declined to comment further because of the criminal investigation.

Mills, who played football at Bloomfield High School before competing at West Virginia State University, is free after posting $250,000 bond. 

Nichols died three days after the traffic stop that Memphis Police Chief Cerelyn CJ Davis called "incomprehensible" and "unconscionable" after she reviewed the body camera videos of the incident. 

"It was alarming," Davis said during an interview with CNN Friday morning. "I was outraged." 

Davis described the officers' actions as “heinous, reckless and inhumane,” and said Friday that her department has been unable to substantiate the reckless driving allegation that prompted the stop.

Nichols' family and their lawyers, including civil rights attorney Ben Crump, said the video footage shows officers savagely beating the man for three minutes. Crump said the videos showed that Nichols was tased, pepper-sprayed and restrained when he was pulled over near his home. 

The officers displayed a "disregard for life," Davis said. 

The nature of the original stop was "very aggressive," Davis said. "It escalated from there. Mr. Nichols was able to get away from these officers and they found him again at another location." 

At that point, there was an amount of "aggression that was unexplainable," Davis said. 

"I don't think I've witnessed anything of that nature in my entire career," she said. 

The Associated Press contributed to this story.