Shelton woman says older brother of suspect in Fairfield Prep student's killing threatened her

Photo of Ethan Fry
Superior Court in Milford, Conn. on Tuesday, October 19, 2021.

Superior Court in Milford, Conn. on Tuesday, October 19, 2021.

Brian A. Pounds / Hearst Connecticut Media

SHELTON — In a request for a civil protection order, a local woman says an older brother of the Milford teen accused of fatally stabbing Fairfield Prep student James McGrath at a house party last May threatened to kill her the day after the homicide.

The accusation was made public in court documents in which the woman sought civil protective orders on behalf of herself and two children ordering 18-year-old Raul Valle to stay away and refrain from contacting, assaulting, threatening, following, or harassing them.

The documents do not link the accusations against Valle with those against his 17-year-old younger brother, whose first name is also Raul, in connection with McGrath’s death the night of May 14 at a Laurel Glen Drive home. 

The 18-year-old Valle does not have any pending criminal cases in the state or any record of adult convictions, according to the Judicial Branch website. A hearing in the case scheduled for Wednesday morning in Milford Superior Court was continued after Valle asked a judge to let him return with a lawyer.

Valle and his father declined to comment afterward, as did the woman who accused him of threatening her.

It was unclear if police had investigated the claims made in the civil court filing as of Wednesday morning. A message left with the Shelton Police Department’s spokesman was not immediately returned.

In an affidavit accompanying her application for the protective orders, the 33-year-old woman said that her relative had “been an abusive relationship” with Valle.

The affidavit says that on May 15, 2022 – the day after Valle’s brother allegedly killed McGrath – the 18-year-old Valle “became physical” with the woman’s relative. 

The woman says she and another person went to the location of the relative, which was not specified in the affidavit, where she said Valle then threatened to kill her while banging on a patio railing as she was “removing" the relative from the situation. 

The affidavit also said that Valle has repeatedly told the woman’s relative “that he hates me and wants to harm me.” She said that on Jan. 3, after an argument between the couple, Valle reached out to her on Instagram saying he would beat her husband “like a little kid” and made a reference to their infant daughter dying.

In court Wednesday, the woman told Judge Cherie Phoenix-Sharpe that she had copies of the social media messages to submit.

But the judge held off on going forward with the hearing after she asked Valle whether he wanted to have a lawyer representing him or not. 

“I have a question: Does this stay on my record, a restraining order?” Valle asked. “Criminal record?”

“This is a civil proceeding. This is not a criminal proceeding,” the judge said. “But there will be a record of the protective order.”

After consulting with his father, Valle asked for a continuance so he could come back with a lawyer.

The judge then continued Valle’s case to Feb. 1 – the same day his younger brother, who was released following his arrest after posting $2 million bond, is due at the courthouse in connection to McGrath’s killing.

The judge also extended the protective orders, which had been signed on a temporary basis pending Wednesday’s hearing, until the next court date.

Ethan.Fry@hearstmediact.com