Woodbridge Youth Award winner named
WOODBRIDGE >> The 2017 winner of the First Selectman’s Youth Award is Jason Luciani, the son of Thomas and Roxanne Luciani who is an Amity Regional High School sophomore.
Jason’s selection was announced by First Selectman Ellen Scalettar and Woodbridge Youth Services.
Jason is being honored for his commitment to the town and its citizens.
• Jason stepped up as a senior patrol leader in Boy Scout Troop 907 to plan and control weekly meetings. He keeps the troop involved with Memorial Day and Veterans Day ceremonies and the placement of flags on veterans’ graves at the three town cemeteries.
The troop also prepares and serves food at Columbus House and supports a drive to benefit the local food bank.
His fellow Scouts nominated him for the Order of the Arrow as he does many hours of trail building.
• He is beginning his Eagle Scout project of locating veterans’ graves in town to replace missing or broken flags, and he plans to memorialize the veterans through signs indicating their grave locations and the wars in which they served.
• He helps with the Garden Club spring sale and with the First Church of Christ Strawberry Festival.
• He is active in the Outdoor Venture and Leo Club.
• He is an altar server and choir member at Our Lady of the Assumption Church, where he helps with holiday food baskets and Christmas gifts.
• He has volunteered at the Woodbridge Country Club, and spends time at Coachman Square.
He will receive his award April 20 at the Human Services Volunteer Tea in the Woodbridge Center Building. Peoples United Bank will present Jason with a check for $100 for his dedication and service.