Scenic road ordinance in brief:
* The town will maintain the road in good condition.
* Routine maintenance will be performed as needed.
* Maintenance will include; winter plowing and sanding, street cleaning, removal of dead and diseased trees, removal of branches that pose a threat to public safety.
* Trimming of tree branches that encroach on traveled portions below the height needed to allow school buses, emergency vehicles and other legal vehicles will be conducted.
* Trimming or removal of brush and removal of boulders or other obstacles that encroach on the traveled portion will be done as needed.
* Repaving, re-treatment, or repair of existing paved surfaces that does not require widening or removal of trees or stone walls or changing the grade or configuration will be done.
* If an alteration is considered, the board of selectmen must publish a notice in the newspaper and at the same time provide a copy of the notice to the chairman of the Conservation Commission and all land owners along the scenic road in question. If no written objection is forth coming within 10 days, the alteration may take place.
* Any alteration undertaken must be planned and executed to do the least possible damage to the characteristics of the scenic road. Curbing shall be used only as necessary for proper lawful drainage.
* If the board of selectmen determine that alterations or improvements are needed on a scenic road, a committee shall be established to advise on appropriate measurers. It will consist of two land owners from the scenic road, the town road foreman, a representative from the fire department, conservation commission, and planning and zoning commissions. The conservation commission member will chair the committee. The committee will make their recommendation in writing to the board of selectmen.