• Bridget Barnsley of Orange and Jamie Blum of Woodbridge were among 22 junior golfers from 15 communities in the state to be awarded scholarships at the Kennedy Center 26th annual Charity Golf Classic. Selection is based upon academic achievement, school and community leadership, and golf proficiency.
• Colgate University class of 2017 member Hannah Bercovici, of Woodbridge, has earned the spring 2017 Dean’s Award with Distinction at Colgate University. Bercovici is an Amity Regional High School graduate.
• Local students, and their majors, who earned a BA from Connecticut College on May 21 are: Milford: Kathryn Rose Alderman, English; Orange: Sarah Marie Haddad, American studies; Woodbridge: Storm Jacob Boris, mathematics and economics.
• Sacred Heart Academy class of 2017 members who are 4.0 Gold Tassel Scholars are:
Bethany: Jeanne Marie Cassidy, University of New Hampshire; Milford: Madeleine Lagarde, North Carolina State University.
• Milford resident Kalysta Contaras has enrolled at James Madison University for the fall 2017 semester. Contaras’ selected major is health sciences, BS.
• David Jesensky of Milford, was inducted into Beta Gamma Sigma, the international honor society serving business programs accredited by AACSB International, at Quinnipiac University.
• The Yale New Haven Hospital Auxiliary presented $1,500 scholarships to Milford students who will pursue an education in the medical and allied health fields: Jonathan Feher, Carly Malesky, Marissa Pollack, Olivia Steiner, Allison Jezierny and Melanie Coleman.
• Bethany resident Jennifer Lebel received a BS in management from Albertus Magnus College on May 21.
• Derby High School students slated to attend the American Legion Boy’s State at Eastern Connecticut State University in June were William Corbeil, Tyrique Evans and Chase Bolton.
• Derby High School students slated to attend the American Legion Auxiliary Laurel Girl’s State in June at Post University were Jessalyn McGovern and Shenella Tertullien.
• St. Rita School of Hamden middle-schoolers Juliana Mascia, Madisyn D’Errico and Isabelle Giaquinto were chosen for the 2017 Junior National Young Leaders six-day conference in Washington, D.C.
• The Saint Michael’s College Book Award was presented at Sacred Heart Academy’s Honors Convocation to junior Audrey Seyfried of Milford. The award recognizes an outstanding junior in academics, a member of National Honor Society, and a leader who demonstrates a sustained commitment to school and community activities.
• Steven Bell of Milford has completed freshman orientation and is prepared to enroll in the fall 2017 semester as part of the class of 2021 at the University at Albany.
• Emily Johnson, Eastern Connecticut State University class of 2018 of Bethany, who majors in English, was among 14 students who spent a month this summer in Florence, Italy, in the creative writing abroad course. The students wrote, critiqued and edited original works of fiction and visited the cities of Fiesole, Siena, San Gimignano, Lucca and Pisa.
• Sara Abriola, Eastern Connecticut State University class of 2017 of Bethany, who majors in health sciences, returned from two weeks in Ghana in August to study the health care system.
• Merrimack College recognized local students who have achieved Dean’s List for spring 2017: David Foster of Milford, Christopher Cimmino of Orange, Cassie Giza of Orange, Matthew Ronai of Orange, Reinaldo Jackson of Milford.
• In July, members of the Junior and Teen Competition teams from Academy of Dance in Woodbridge competed in the National Finals of Kids Artistic Revue, at the Foxwoods Resort in Ledyard. The Junior team performed “Walk the Dinosaur” and won top first place and a special Judge’s Award “these kids love to dance and it shows!” while the Teen team scored a national top first place with “Swing Set,” a special Judge’s Award “Happy Feet” and a Hollywood invitation.