• Elizabeth Laden, of Orange, Accountable Care Organization coordinator, in May was named Griffin Hospital’s 2017 Employee of the Year.
Laden is participating in Griffin’s Healthcare Leadership Academy program, and in the hospital’s medical Spanish program to better communicate with her Spanish-speaking clients.
Laden began at Griffin in 2005 in the Emergency Department, and assumed the new position of ACO coordinator in the Case Management Department in 2014. She provides follow-up assistance to patients who have visited the ED, ensuring that they understand their discharge instructions, have appointments with their community physicians and have filled their prescriptions.
As a result, Laden has been able to reduce avoidable ED visits for Griffin’s ACO patient population by 32 percent. She is a key member of multiple hospital committees, including preferred provider meetings with area skilled nursing facilities, home care, and physical therapy partners.
• Wu Dang Kungfu Academy, 518 Boston Post Road, Orange, was named the Grand Champion at the eighth International Wushu/Kungfu Tournament held May 28 in Atlantic City, N.J. Wu Dang Kungfu Academy also retains the honor of being the grand champion for eight years since 2010, when the first tournament was held.
• The following area students were named to the Dean’s List for the spring 2017 semester at Curry College: Nicholas LaPenna of Milford; Erica Money of Milford; Julianna Petrucelli of Milford; Carol Phillips of Milford; Wade Prajer of Milford; Kayla Prete of Orange.
• Springfield College recognized 2017 graduates: Allison Koshes of Orange, has earned a bachelor’s of science in health science. Stephanie Foster of Woodbridge, has earned a bachelor’s of science in health science. Nicole Dupee of Milford, has earned a bachelor’s of science in human services (UG).
• Springfield College recognizes Dean’s List students for the 2017 spring semester: Allison Koshes of Orange, studying health science; Corinne Johnson of Orange, studying health science/occupational therapy; Dakota Kelly of Bethany, studying health science and pre-physical therapy; Nicole Cichowski of Milford, studying movement and sport studies; Hailey Alicki of Milford, studying rehab and disability study; Kent Ahern of Woodbridge, studying sport management.
• Erica Money of Milford has been inducted into the Alexander Graham Bell Honor Society during ceremonies on the Curry College campus in April 2017.
• The University of Scranton conferred degrees May 27: Victoria R. Lakic of Milford earned a Master of Science with a major in occupational therapy; Lydia Grace Tilsley of Orange earned a Master of Business Administration with a major in enterprise resources planning and operations and information management.
• Students who graduated from Wesleyan University on May 28 include: Sisam Acharya of Milford, BA in psychology; Anna Lu of Woodbridge, BA in science in society.
• Douglas Rives of Bethany was named Worcester Area Baseball All-Star. He is a student at Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
• Makayla McDonald, a dental hygiene major from Milford, was named to the spring Dean’s List at Mount Ida College.
• Residents named to the Bucknell University Dean’s List for spring 2017 are: Nicholas Bilcheck of Milford, Scott Goldstein of Milford, Sarah Rippel of Orange.
• Bethany resident Jennifer Lebel received a Bachelor of Science in management at the 94th commencement of Albertus Magnus College on May 21.
• Lehigh University student Matthew Montano of Milford was named to the Dean’s List in spring 2017. .
• James Madison University students on the Dean’s List for spring 2017 are: Kolby Santos of Bethany, who is majoring in marketing and is scheduled to graduate in 2017. Kara Burgess of Woodbridge, who is majoring in international affairs and is scheduled to graduate in 2017. Natalie Pyne of Woodbridge, who is majoring in hospitality management and is scheduled to graduate in 2018.
• On the University of Vermont Dean’s List are: Daniel Dedomenico of Orange, Ella Halpine of Bethany, Olivia Gamsu of Bethany.
• Members of the class of 2017 received their diplomas May 21 at the 196th Colgate University Commencement. They include: Hannah Bercovici, geology major, cum laude. Bercovici is a graduate of Amity Regional High School, from Woodbridge. Caroline Hurwitz, English major, a graduate of Hawken School, from Milford.
• Kenneth Giorgi, a major in nursing from Milford, was eligible to graduate from the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay May 13.
• Noelle Bencivengo of Orange was named to the Castleton University President’s List for the spring semester of the 2016-17 academic year.
• Sarah Santini of Orange was named to the Castleton University Dean’s List for the spring semester of the 2016-17 academic year.