Police: Milford manhunt suspect allegedly strangled, held woman at knifepoint

Photo of Peter Yankowski
Anthony Sliney, 32, of West Haven

Anthony Sliney, 32, of West Haven

Contributed / Milford Police Department

MILFORD — Local police released new details Tuesday on a manhunt at Silver Sands State Park for a West Haven man accused of strangling and holding a woman at knifepoint.

Police arrested 32-year-old West Haven Resident Anthony Sliney on charges of first-degree threatening, second-degree strangulation, third-degree assault and disorderly conduct, according to officials

The incident began around 1:30 a.m. Monday when police responded to a “possible domestic violence incident,” officials said. A woman told police she had an argument with Sliney, who then threw coffee at her. Police said Sliney had left the scene prior to officers’ arrival.

The woman appeared “visibly afraid” during the interview and refused to provide a written statement to police, according to his arrest report obtained by Hearst Connecticut Media.

Officers were able to make contact with Sliney by phone, who refused to come back, saying he was almost to Bridgeport, according to the warrant. Police told him they would file a warrant for his arrest. “Sliney told me to do the warrant because he’s not coming back,” investigators wroet in the report.

Later that morning around 9 a.m., state police told Milford police the woman had been involved in an incident in Derby and had been hospitalized for injuries.

State police said Sliney picked the woman up in a car, and they received a call from her on the highway saying he would not let her out.

“Milford Police Detectives went to speak with the victim who advised that she was too scared to give information earlier but the following events actually took place,” Milford police said.

The woman told police Sliney threw coffee at her and took her phone, according to officials. When she tried to get the phone back “Sliney took out a knife and held it to her throat and threatened her,” the woman told police.

He then put the knife down and “strangled the victim until she almost passed out,” she told investigators.

The arrest report notes there was a “supervficial cut” on the woman’s throat that appeared to have been from a knife. The report also noted a coffee stain on her shirt.

Police were able to track Sliney to the area around Walnut Beach, which sits next to Silver Sands State Park. When police spotted Sliney, they said he ran away on foot into the woods and marsh.

The state park was closed while Milford police shut down the area and conducted “an extensive search for Sliney” that included officers on foot, “by K9, and by drone,” police said.

Police also attempted to locate Sliney using his cell phone location.

He was later found in the area around Walnut beach around 5 p.m. and arrested.

Sliney was held on $100,000 bond and appeared in Milford Superior Court on Tuesday.

A spokesperson for the state’s judicial branch said Sliney did not enter a plea during his court appearance, and is being held on bonds totaling $500,000 in two cases. He was assigned a public defender. The public defender’s office could not be reached for comment Tuesday evening.