Police: Milford man violated protective order, set woman’s car on fire

Gerol Francilme, 57, of Milford

Gerol Francilme, 57, of Milford

Milford Police Department / Contributed

MILFORD — Police said they have arrested a local man after he allegedly poured a flammable liquid on a woman’s car Sunday before then setting it ablaze.

Police identified the man charged as 57-year-old Gerol Francilme. They said the woman had an active protective order against Francilme. He was later taken into custody at the woman’s home, according to police.

Francilme was charged with third-degree arson, first-degree criminal mischief and two counts violation of a protective order, police said.

Police said officers and firefighters were dispatched Sunday to an address in the 200 block of High Street after a report of a vehicle fire. At the scene, authorities found flames engulfing the entire front end of the vehicle, according to police.

Milford firefighters put the fire out and noted to police that it appeared suspicious “because it started outside of the vehicle,” Milford police said in a press release Monday.

Police located video surveillance in the area. The video showed “a male suspect wearing a mask and carrying a water bottle approach the vehicle,” police said in the release.

“The suspect pours a liquid on the front hood of the vehicle and then lights a match, causing a fire,” the release continued. “The fire is seen spreading across the front of the vehicle and the suspect then takes the plastic water bottle and walks away.”

Authorities then identified the man in the video as Francilme, who police said is homeless.

Police said he was located at the woman’s home and arrested.

Francilme was held on $250,000 bond and was due to appear in Milford court for his arraignment on Monday.

It was unclear if he remained in custody later Monday. Court records show Francilme has several pending cases in Milford for violation of a protective order and a charge of evading responsibility in a motor vehicle accident from last month. In one arrest from April 3, Milford police also charged Francilme with reckless burning along with violation of a protective order, court records show.