Milford incident prompts warning about proper ash disposal
MILFORD — Fire officials are encouraging residents to educate themselves on proper disposal of a wood fire following another incident caused by inappropriate disposal of ashes from a wood-burning stove Monday at 26 Franklin St.
Capt. Greg Carman said in a press release that fire personnel responded to the address around 12 p.m. Monday after receiving a report of light smoke in the garage. The resident reported having placed the ashes from a fire the night before into a plastic bucket before putting them in the garage Monday morning. Carman said that the resident arrived home to find light smoke in the garage, and firefighters found the smouldering bucket inside. The bucket was removed and the fire extinguished.
Carman said no injuries or damage were reported, but the department wants people to remember fire safety tips.
In a release, the department says fires caused by hot embers have increased from 269 in 2011 to 369 in 2012. Residents should remember never to empty ashes into a paper or plastic bag, cardboard box or other similar container. The only container they should be placed into is a metal container with a tight lid. Wetting the wood ashes prior to placing them inside the metal container would be the best idea. The container with ashes in it should not be stored anywhere on a deck, in a garage or at any location where the heat may transfer from the hot coals to nearby flammable items.