Local veterinarian Dr. John O'Neil will retire after almost 39 years as a veterinarian and owner of the the Milford Animal Hospital at 256 Cherry Street.

O'Neil is a 1975 graduate of the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine. He and his former partner, Dr. David McGee, purchased the animal hospital from its founder, J. Mitchell Floyd, in 1977. Dr. Floyd started the Milford Animal Hospital in 1950.

The hospital moved to its current (and third) location on Cherry Street in 1995. McGee, a 1972 graduate of the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, retired two years ago.

The remaining owners are current veterinarians Dr. Valerie Blasi and Dr. Jeffrey Sachar.

Blasi, a 1995 graduate of Atlantic Veterinary College, has been with the hospital 18 years and a partner since 2006. Sachar, a 2003 graduate of the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine, has been with the hospital seven years and a partner since 2011.

They are joined by Milford native Dr. Melissa Moore and their newest associate, Dr. Kimberly Galloway.

O'Neil and his wife will move to West Cornwall when he retires as of March 13.