Local students' achievements
• Local students to graduate in May from Ithaca College are: Matthew Boyd of Bethany, Caitlyn Strona of Orange, Andrew Teitelman of Woodbridge.
• Kenneth Clancy, a native of Milford, was named to the University of Iowa’s dean’s list for the 2016 spring semester. He was also named to the university’s President’s List for the spring 2016 semester.
• Local Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute students named to the dean’s list for the spring 2016 are: David Glowny, of Milford, studies computer and systems engineering; Kevin Griffin, of Milford, studies mechanical engineering; Junyu Huo, of Milford, studies mechanical engineering.
• Caitlin Kennedy of Milford earned a BA with a concentration in mathematics from the State University of New York at New Paltz.
• The following local students were named to the University of Delaware dean’s list for the spring 2016 semester: Natalie Ambrosey of Milford, Courtney Brennan of Orange, Alessandro Chiodo of Woodbridge, Emily Simon of Woodbridge, Nicole Simon of Woodbridge, Elliot Wolff.
• Wilkes University student Hayley Murray of Milford was named to the dean’s list for the spring 2016 semester.
• Sarah Teitelman, of Woodbridge, graduated May 15 from the University of Rochester with a BA in English and international relations.
• Kutztown University student Amanda Portoff of Milford was named a Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Scholar-Athlete for the 2015-16 academic year.
• Kenneth Clancy, of Milford, received a BS in actuarial science with highest distinction; BS in mathematics with highest distinction; BS in statistics with highest distinction; CER in risk management and insurance degree from the University of Iowa at the end of the spring 2016 semester.
• Milford resident Lindsey Marie Seyfried was named to the president’s list at James Madison University for the spring 2016 semester.
• The University of Rochester Bausch and Lomb Medal was presented to Jeanne Marie Cassidy of Bethany, a junior at Sacred Heart Academy, Hamden. The award is presented at the Honors Convocation to the junior, who in the opinion of the academy science department, has an outstanding overall academic record in science.
• On June 24, the Orange Rotary Club welcomed Shawna Brown and Mike Lazare, students it sponsored at the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards.
They participated in a three-day leadership conference at Camp Hazen in Chester.
“We had an opportunity to build service projects, friendships and relationships that will last a lifetime,” said Mike Lazare, a Hopkins School student who will be a student director at next fall’s RYLA conference.
Participants formed teams that develop community service projects, which they implement in the following months.
Shawna Brown, an incoming junior at Mercy High School in Middletown, said her RYLA participation showed “you can change the world and still be yourself.”
Before receiving Orange Rotary sponsorship at RYLA, both participated in Interact clubs, which are guided by Rotary clubs but govern and support themselves. Interact Clubs emphasize community service projects, a major focus of Rotary.
• Hannah Konicki of Milford graduated cum laude May 14 from Emmanuel College. Konicki received a BA in psychology with a concentration in counseling and health.
• Tabitha Brown of Bethany is on the dean’s list at Salisbury University for the spring semester.