Local residents’ achievements
• Southern New Hampshire University has named the following students to the spring 2017 Dean’s List: Brittany Bajerski of Milford; Jared Pepper of Orange.
• Area students named to the Dean’s List at Colby College in the spring semester of the 2016-17 year are:
Zena Abulhab of Milford, a member of the class of 2019, attended Joseph A. Foran High School and is the daughter of Saad Abulhab and Sabine Gruber of Milford. She majored in computer science.
Jacob F. Laser of Orange, a member of the class of 2017, attended Amity Regional High School and is the son of Mark Laser and Amy Knorr of Orange. He majored in biology.
• Southern New Hampshire University has named Bryan Creevy of Milford to the spring 2017 President’s List.
• Kathryn Buonantony of Milford, an English major at Saint Francis University, is on the summer 2017 Dean’s List.
• University of Alabama students named to the spring 2017 honors list include: Alicia Juliet Paight of Milford, Dean’s List; Carolina M. Boccanfuso of Woodbridge, Dean’s List; Michelle Cassidy Hovey of Milford, Dean’s List.
Hovey, a 2016 graduate of Foran High School, was inducted April 2 into Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society at the university, where she is in the nursing program.
• Castleton University student Noelle Bencivengo of Orange was recently named to the President’s List for the spring semester of the 2016-17 academic year.
• Arielle Smith-Watts of Milford, graduated May 20 from Bard College at Simon’s Rock with an Associate of Arts with distinction, in liberal arts. Smith-Watts attended Oviedo High School before starting college early.
• Western New England University students named to the spring Dean’s List are: Nicholas Dana of Milford, majoring in biomedical engineering; Tyler Kasuba of Milford, majoring in sport management; Lauren Sell of Milford, majoring in industrial engineering.
• Loriea Shawna Crudup, of Milford, a student at Platt Technical High School, received a scholarship from KBE Building Corp.
• Connecticut Kid Governor Jessica Brocksom of Milford visited Washington, D.C., recently to discuss her platform Helping Animals, Those Without a Voice, as she met with elected officials and national organizations that focus on protecting animals.
She met with U.S. Sens. Richard Blumenthal and Christopher Murphy, both D-Conn., U.S. Rep. Rosa DeLauro, D-3, and the staffs of the Humane Society of the United States & the Humane Society Legislative Fund. During her meetings she discussed animal protection legislation and the goals she set for her one-year term: learning about and supporting tougher animal protection laws, promoting collection drives for local pounds and shelters, and creating an educational presentation to be shown in schools across Connecticut. Jessica is formerly a fifth-grader at John F. Kennedy School.
• Tyler J. Ryan, of Orange, was named to the Dean’s List at Boston University for the spring semester.
• Catherine Olson, of Orange, was awarded a Bachelor of Arts on May 6 from Furman University.
• The Orange Scholarship Fund Association presented awards of $1,000-$2,000 to the following outstanding high school seniors to continue their education: Sophia Cuozzo, Stefanie DelVecchio, Himay Dharani, Thomas Driscoll, Stephanie Durkee, Kiersten Keating, Kelsey McCormack, Jasmine Moon, Jacob Okolo and Stephanie Durkee.
• Gov. Dannel P. Malloy has named Stephen D. Dargan of West Haven to a vacancy on the Board of Pardons and Paroles.
Dargan was a state representative for the 115th Assembly District of West Haven, 1991-2017. For 22 years he was House chairman of the Public Safety and Security Committee, which works on matters to do with state police, municipal police training, fire marshals, civil preparedness and homeland security. He was a fire commissioner for the city of West Haven, 1980-2004, and was a member of the West Haven City Council, 1985-91.
• Alize Rodriguez of Milford was named to the spring 2017 Dean’s List at SUNY Buffalo State. Rodriguez is majoring in fashion and textile technology.
• Residents who graduated May 5 from James Madison University are: Kara Burgess of Woodbridge, degree in international affairs. Madelyn Dellert of Orange, degree in international affairs. Nicholas Walker of Bethany, degree in finance.
• Katlyn Breitenbach of Orange is on the Dean’s List for the spring 2017 at the Massachusetts College of Liberals Arts.
• Local students who graduated May 20 from Western New England University: Lauren P. Sell of Milford, summa cum laude with a Bachelor of Science in industrial engineering; Morgan E. Stevens of Milford, cum laude with a Bachelor of Science in business administration in management and leadership.
• Colin Sullivan of Milford, majoring in history, received a Bachelor of Arts on May 13 from Miami University.
• Siena College graduates on May 14: Bryan Niebanck of Milford, Nicholas Tudino of Orange, Brian Santora of Milford, Alyssa Aconfora of Orange.
• Morrisville State College students named to the Dean’s List for the spring 2017 semester are: Cord DePalma of Orange,
Paula Rodriguez of Milford.
• Meaghan Francis of Woodbridge recently graduated from Wyoming Seminary College Preparatory School. She competed two years on the varsity girls ice hockey and lacrosse teams and was a resident assistant in Swetland Hall and a member of Blue Crew. She is the daughter of Stephen and Betsy Francis of Woodbridge.
• Morrisville State College students named to the Dean’s List for the spring 2017 semester are: Cord DePalma of Orange, Paula Rodriguez of Milford.
• Fairfield University students on the Dean’s List for the spring 2017 semester, and their major, are:
Bethany: Philip Amarante, computer engineering 5-year.
Milford: Drew Arciuolo, management; Theresa Bravo, English/creative writing; Justin Dickovick, physics; Lydia Dupree, chemistry/biochemistry; Hadir Elhelw, marketing; Liam Fama, information systems; Alexander Hutcheon, finance; Mariah Kasparek, politics; Geoffrey Knotwell, finance; Sally Ng, sociology; Casey Oliver, nursing; Julia Reno, nursing; Hayley Soulier, nursing.
Orange: Stephen Borrelli, management; Thomas Boutros, accounting; Sandra DiDonato, American studies; Alec Melotto, accounting; Abigayel Phillips, English/lit & cultural studies; Mark Pinciaro, accounting; Emily Rippel, psychology; Jesse Sachs, communication; Jennifer Schwartz, biology; Bridget Stackpole, finance; Julia Vitti, marketing.
Woodbridge: Madison Bietsch, public relations; Dimitri Skuret, management.