Lauralton Hall names senior award recipients
Lauralton Hall's faculty and staff revealed the names of this year's senior award recipients on May 21 at the annual Senior Awards Ceremony held in the Lauralton Hall Claven Auditorium.
Class of 2014 Valedictorian Ann Marie Guzzi of Fairfield and Salutatorian Jean-Claire Vincent of Stamford top a list of accomplished and service-minded graduates who will pursue higher education at some of the most competitive colleges and universities in the country, including Barnard College, Boston College, Duke University, Fordham University, New York University, United States Air Force Academy, University of Southern California and Villanova University.
Seventy-six seniors received awards for outstanding accomplishments in academics, athletics and community service. Some of the awards presented include:
• The Arion Award: Given for outstanding musical achievement based on the individual's contribution to her musical organization, scholastic standing, musicianship and performing ability. Awardee: Victoria Aradillos
• The Bishop Peter Rosazza Award: Given to the graduating student who, in the opinion of the faculty, has manifested Christian compassion through humble and joyful service to others. Awardee: Megan Collins
• Crusader of the Year: Every Lauralton Hall student involved in athletics votes for the senior who, in their opinion, is the finest athlete. Awardee: Maureen Connolly
• Department Medals: Given to students who, in the opinion of the members of each department, best demonstrated excellence, commitment and interest in the study of each subject area. Awardees: Emily Castagna, Brenna Donahue, Megan Fickes, Ann Marie Guzzi, Andrea Lopez, Elizabeth Renehan, Amber Sheffield, Victoria Stefkovich, Ellen Tien and Jeanne-Claire Vincent
• The Frances Warde Service Award: Presented to 29 students who achieved 100 hours of service in their community during the school year from June, 2013 through April, 2014.
• Fred DeLuca Award: The founder of Subway restaurants, Fred DeLuca, started a foundation to help young women and men achieve their dreams of furthering their education. 2014 Award recipient: Amanda Grillo
• The Lezotte Awards: Voted upon by the graduates themselves as best typifying Lauralton ideals. 2014 Awardees: Sarah Parlato and Lauren Sell
• U.S. Army Reserve National Scholar/Athlete Award: Presented to a student who has demonstrated excellence in both academics and athletics. Awardee: Taylor Whittaker
• The United Way of Milford Service Scholarship: Given to a graduating senior who is a Milford resident, has volunteered to serve an agency that works for the betterment of the Milford community during each of their four years of high school and has financial need. 2014 Awardee: Lauren Fraser