Landscape worker seriously burned after striking gas line

MILFORD — A gas leak and fire sent one person to the hospital with serious injuries Monday morning, according to Milford fire officials.

Milford Emergency Communications Center received reports of a truck fire and gas leak at 500 Bic Drive at 8:58 a.m., said Chris Zak, chief of planning, safety and training for the city’s Fire Department.

The department dispatched three engines, one ladder truck and one ambulance, Zak said. Fire crews were on the scene within five minutes.

“A person was doing landscaping and struck the gas piping that entered the building,” Zak said. “Immediately, the leaking gas ignited, causing severe burns on the person.”

The individual was treated on the scene and transported to Bridgeport Hospital Burn Center by Milford paramedics.

Southern Connecticut Gas Co. officials shut off the gas pipe from the street and fire crews deployed water streams to extinguish the fire and protect the surrounding area. About 300 people had to be evacuated from nearby buildings.

The building, a multi-tenant warehouse, sustained moderate damage to the exterior and some smoke damage inside the structure. There were no injures to any firefighters, Zak said.

the street. Those crews worked safely and effectively to mitigate the leaking gas quickly.