MILFORD — The original colony was made up of followers of Peter Prudden. Prudden was a popular preacher in England and New England.

The land was purchased on Feb. 12, 1639, from Ansantawae, a chief of the Paugusset Indians. The settlers bartered for six coats, ten blankets, one kettle, twelve hatchets, twelve hoes, two dozen knives, and a dozen small mirrors.

Want to know more? This information was found in “History of Milford Connecticut 1639-1939.”

2014 Marks Milford’s 375th birthday. It is a time of celebration and reflection. A committee is hard at work planning activities. The purpose of this weekly column will be to provide facts and information about the little city with the big heart.