A Louisa County, Va., jury has convicted Gregory Veres, formerly of Milford, of first-degree murder in the death of his girlfriend, who grew up in Fairfield.

According to the Richmond Times-Dispatch, Veres, 31, was convicted in the Sept. 22, 2017, hit-and-run driving death of Dawn Marie Meade, 40.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch reported that Veres had gotten into an argument with Meade over a restraining order that she filed against him in February 2017 when they were living together in Connecticut.

“Meade then got out of the car, driven by Veres, and began to walk home,” the newspaper reported. “The couple were living at Veres’ grandmother’s home after moving to Virginia in May 2017.”

The jury convicted Veres of first-degree murder and felony hit and run while recommending the maximum sentence under the law, plus 10 years, according to Louisa Commonwealth’s Attorney Rusty E. McGuire.

“This is a tragic case where the defendant killed his girlfriend and treated her worse than a dog,” McGuire said in a prepared statement. “He killed her in the middle of the night and left her alone, cold and in the dark, on the side of the road.

“The defendant hunted her down and drove all four wheels of his grandmother’s car off the road and struck the victim going 60 mph,” McGuire continued. “The defendant struck her so hard the car’s grill left an imprint on her leg.”

Veres took the stand and testified it was an accident and suggested that he was too drunk to know what he was doing, according to McGuire. The defense also called Richard McGarry, an expert witness, who said the defendant’s blood alcohol concentration would have been too high to know what he was doing.

The Commonwealth called Dr. Jim Hutchings, who works for the Department of Forensic Science, who refuted McGarry’s claims, according to McGuire.

In closing arguments, McGuire and co-counsel Robert Wood argued that “the defendant’s changing of his clothes from a bright fluorescent shirt to a dark sweatshirt before he killed the victim, coupled with his aggressive driving, demonstrated a premeditated intent to kill.”

In a press release, Wood said, “We are the thankful of the professional and thorough work of the Louisa County Sheriff’s Office, the Virginia State Police, the Central Virginia Regional Jail, the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner and the Department of Forensic Science for bringing justice in a Louisa courtroom.”

Veres is scheduled to be sentenced March 25.

According to an obituary notice, Meade had lived in Norwalk, and was a graduate of Fairfield Warde High School.

“Dawn had a contagious laugh that could turn any frown. She loved acting silly with her friends and family, but mostly enjoyed spreading joy and warmth wherever she went,” the notice reads.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations were requested for the Connecticut Coalition Against Domestic Violence.

Last year, Meade’s son raised money on Gofundme to bring his mother’s body from Virginia to be buried.

“I lost my mother unexpectedly to domestic violence,” Joseph Muratori wrote on a Gofundme site in 2017. “She was taken from this world tragically and way too soon. Dawn Meade was born on March 15, 1977, in Norwalk, CT and raised in Fairfield County with her parents. At 16 years old, she gave birth to her one and only son (me), Joseph Muratori. She dedicated herself to giving a better life to me. She had the most radiating smile and the biggest heart.”