Fire officials remind residents about fireplace safety
• Have your chimney cleaned and inspected annually.
• Keep combustible materials at least three feet from a wood stove or the fireplace.
• Never empty ashes into a paper or plastic bag, cardboard box, or other similar container.
• The only suitable means for ash storage is a metal container with a tight fitting lid.
• For optimum safety, wet the wood ashes prior to attaching the metal lid to the pail.
• Do not store a metal ash container on your deck, in your garage, or in any location that may allow heat to transfer from those hot coals to nearby flammable items.