Fire destroys Shelton home

Shelton firefighters responded to a fire at a Waterford Lane home on Thursday, Jan. 14.

Shelton firefighters responded to a fire at a Waterford Lane home on Thursday, Jan. 14.

firegroundimages.com / Contributed photo

SHELTON — Fire destroyed a Waterford Lane home Thursday.

Deputy Fire Chief Paul Wilson said crews responded to a structure fire on Waterford Lane about 12:44 p.m. The first firefighters on scene observed fire coming from two windows on the right side of the home.

Wilson said firefighters moved through the front door to attack the heavy volume of fire inside the home. In all, some 30 firefighters were on the scene.

Firefighters, under the direction of Fire Chief Francis Jones, doused the blaze in some 20 minutes, after which crews spent time suppressing any remaining hot spots. No one was injured, according to Wilson; the homeowners had been evacuated before arrival of the fire department.

“Two firefighters had stepped through a weak floor on the second floor but were not injured,” Wilson said.

According to Fire Marshal James Tortora, the fire occurred when a contractor left a floor fan on a kitchen stove and when doing so accidentally turned on the gas burner causing the fan to ignite when left unattended.

Other units on the scene were Cars 2, 4, 5 and 6. Engines 2, 42, 32, Ladder 47, Utility 4 and utility truck 40. Fire units were clear of the scene within two hours.

brian.gioiele@hearstmediact.com