Fire at JCC of Greater New Haven sends two firemen to hospital

WOODBRIDGE >> The Jewish Community Center of Greater New Haven was evacuated Monday evening and a fourth alarm issued for a fire in the building.

First Selectwoman Ellen Scalettar said two firefighters were taken to the hospital but are expected to recover.

Woodbridge Police Chief Frank Cappiello said that as of about 4:20 p.m. there were no reported injures of people who had been in the building. He said the Orange and Bethany fire departments were assisting Woodbridge crews.

Cappiello said motorists should avoid the area of Amity Road, from Bradley Road to the intersection of Center Road. (Route 114)

The building had many people in it when the fire broke out.

JCC Director Scott Cohen said the fire was in the lower area of he building near the locker rooms. The extent of the damage is not yet known.

The building will be closed Tuesday and possibly longer, Cohen said.

The regional center contains a gym, swimming pool, offices, an auditorium and many meetings rooms.

Scalettar commended firefighters for their “incredible professional response” to the fire and said she is grateful everyone was successfully evacuated. She said she was sure of the exact nature of the injuries to the firefighters. Scalettar said she spoke with the police chief, fire department and JCC director, learning the people who had been in the building were was safe.

Further, she said a nearby assisted living facility, Brookdale Woodbridge, welcomed evacuees and gave them snacks.

This story will be updated as information becomes available.