Feds: CT man pleads guilty to gun charge

Photo of Peter Yankowski
A judge's gavel for the files.

A judge's gavel for the files.

Bjoern Wylezich / TNS

A 25-year-old East Hartford man faces up to 10 years in prison after pleading guilty to a federal firearms charge Tuesday.

Dionte Wilson, 25, pleaded guilty to unlawful possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, the U.S. Attorney’s office for the District of Connecticut said.

Wilson appeared before before U.S. Magistrate Judge Donna F. Martinez in a videoconference court session.

Prosecutors claim authorities found videos on social media of Wilson “in possession of several different firearms,” a press release said.

The FBI’s Northern Connecticut Gang Task Force set up multiple controlled purchases of marijuana from Wilson, the release said. During a buy on Aug. 10 of last year, Wilson was taken into custody “after he displayed a Taurus .380 caliber handgun,” the release said.

Authorities searched his home and found a loaded Taurus .380 caliber magazine and around 100 rounds of “.22 caliber long rifle hollow point bullets,” the release said.

Wilson had previously been convicted in state court on drug and firearms charges, making possession of a gun that had moved in interstate commerce illegal.

Federal authorities arrested Wilson on Sept. 9 of last year. He has been detained since then.

Wilson is due to appear in federal court again on April 14 for sentencing “at which time he faces a maximum term of imprisonment of 10 years,” the U.S. Attorney’s Office said.