Fairfield vigil canceled

A vigil scheduled for Sunday evening in Fairfield has been canceled.

The vigil was to be held for victims of domestic violence in the wake of a Feb. 16 incident in Fairfield that ended with a father being shot dead by police after allegedly attacking other members of his family.

It has been canceled to respect the wishes of the Andrews family, according to a joint statement from Fairfield First Selectman Michael Tetreau and Center for Family Justice President and CEO Debra A. Greenwood.

The statement reads:

On Behalf of the Town of Fairfield and The Center for Family Justice

The events in Fairfield this week have left the community shaken, emotional and determined to help in the most sensitive and meaningful ways possible. Sunday’s vigil was planned as a way for town residents to gather and share their solidarity and support for the impacted family at this difficult time.

However, in light of the statements of the Andrews family representative today, we now feel it may be in their best interest to respond in a way that is more private and respectful of their wishes. While we have had no direct contact with a family representative, none of us involved in planning this vigil wish to compound the tragic events they have experienced this week.

Therefore, we have decided to cancel Sunday’s vigil on the Town Hall Green.

We encourage Fairfield residents to continue to honor and respect the family’s wishes and support them in any way they deem appropriate. We also continue to be deeply appreciative of the care and concern shown for the family by the wonderful people of Fairfield.

— Respectfully, Michael Tetreau, First Selectmen Town of Fairfield

— Debra A. Greenwood, President/CEO, The Center for Family Justice

Christopher Andrews, 51, was shot by Fairfield Police Officer Sean Fenton after police said he continued to advance toward officers outside the family’s Mountain Laurel Drive residence around 6 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 16.

When police went inside, they found Kathleen Andrews, 50, and a 13-year-old boy injured. According to published reports, Kathleen Andrews remains in Bridgeport Hospital, her son in Yale-New Haven Hospital.