City declares state of preparedness as worst of blizzard nears

MONDAY: Mayor Ben Blake and the City of Milford, and Governor Dannel Malloy and the State of Connecticut, have each declared a state of civil preparedness in preparation for serious blizzard conditions. A travel ban on all roads is in effect beginning at 9 p.m. tonight.

All meetings and recreation events are canceled and all city buildings are ordered closed to the public as of 5 p.m. Monday, Jan. 26, according to a press release Mayor Blake issued Monday afternoon.

Alternate side of the street parking remains in effect until 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 28.  Vehicles parked on city roads should be parked on the even number side of the street today, Jan. 26 until 8 a.m.. Tuesday, Jan. 27.  On Tuesday, Jan. 27, vehicles should be moved to the odd number side of the street

Garbage pickup for Tuesday, Jan. 27 is postponed until such time as the streets have been cleared.  Residents are asked to not place their garbage can at the curb until after the plows have had an opportunity to clear the streets.

“All City Departments have been taking action to guard and protect the citizens of Milford against the impact of the storm, but the help of all residents is needed throughout this event,” the mayor said in a press release. “If you live near elderly or infirm neighbors, please check in on them as often as it safe to do so.”

Preparations should be made for prolonged loss of power and residents are urged to use extreme caution when using and fueling generators.  Officials say “do not use candles.”  If generators are used, they should be operated outside in well-ventilated areas.  Anyone experiencing a power outage is encouraged to notify United Illuminating at 1-800-722-5584.

“The cooperation and understanding of all Milford residents is vital in ensuring that injuries and damage is kept to a minimum,” the mayor said.

Additional storm information may be obtained on the city’s website at or the city’s facebook page at “Milford CT City Hall.”  Anyone in need of sheltering or social services may obtain additional information by calling the 211 Infoline.  In the event of an emergency people should call 911.