• The following local students earned degrees May 21-22 from Hofstra University: Peter Charney of Bethany, BFA in theater arts; Miranda Edson of Milford, BA in video/television; Kyle Kandetzki of Milford, BA in journalism; Cassandra Mazzacco of Orange, BA in speech-language-hearing sciences; Alessandra Villano of Orange, Bachelor of Business Administration in marketing.
• The Devon Rotary Club, through its charitable foundation, recently awarded 16 scholarships, with a total value of $21,000 to exceptional Milford students, in recognition of academic interest and achievement, and for their service to their school or the community. The winners are selected by a committee of foundation members. Scholarships were made possible thanks to donations from club members or other individuals. All scholarships were for $1,000, unless otherwise noted.
• Jonathan Law High School: Jillian Bendlak, Paul Austin $2,000 Scholarship; Jay Gandhi, Bridge House Restaurant /Devon Rotary Foundation Scholarship; Ryan Wasserman, John D. Gaynor Memorial Scholarship; Olivia Steiner, Joyce G. Memorial Scholarship, $1,000 a year, renewable for four years; Tyler Chavez, Antelope Web Digital Multimedia $500 Scholarship; Abigail Williamson, James J. Maroney Sr. and John D. Marlarkey Sr. $1,500 Memorial Scholarship; Gina DiFederico, Edward V. Byrne, Memorial Scholarship; Melissa Chodziutko and Thomas Gambardella, William Duncan Devon Rotary Knights Scholarship, $500 each to a member of the boys’ and girls’ basketball program.
• Foran High School: Stephen Soerensen, Steven G. Memorial Scholarship, $1,000 a year renewable for four years; Alyssa Fameli, The Stanford Family Scholarship, William Panzella, Robert Boughton Memorial Scholarship and Allison Jezierny, Barbara Burwell Gaynor Memorial Scholarship.
• Platt Technical High School: Nicholas Bettencourt, Bridge House Dodie Ireland Memorial Scholarship and Chris Velme and Hazel Roque, Excello Tools of the Trade ($500) awards.
The club also provided $2,000 in scholarship assistance to students at Boys & Girls Village, which provides services to vulnerable youths and their families.
• Molly Ronan of Orange was on the Western Connecticut State University 2016-17 women’s basketball team, which ranked in the Top 10 of the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association Academic Honor Roll with a cumulative GPA of 3.593.
• Students named to the spring 2017 Dean’s List at Keene State College are Kelsey Jackson of Milford, Katie Jensen of Orange, Caroline Stapleton of Milford, Kevin Wall of Milford.
• Piano students performed at the Neighborhood Music School in New Haven May 6 as winners of the 40th Annual Renée B. Fisher Competition for Young Pianists. The winners received a monetary prize.
Local elementary/middle school: commissioned work: Marin Korenaga, Bethany, Joel Wizansky, teacher; honorable mention: Marin Korenaga, Bethany, Joel Wizansky, teacher.
Local high school: 2nd Prize, tie: Victor You, Woodbridge, Phillip Kawin, teacher.
• Carla Tilghman of Orange, Katelyn Browe of Orange, Meghan Warren of Milford and Raffaele Nicoletta of Milford were named to the Ithaca College Dean’s List for the spring 2017 semester.
• Samuel Dellert of Orange graduated from Ithaca College in May 2017.
• St. Mary School had a banner year in the 2017 New Haven Vicariate Athletic League: the Grade 6 junior varsity boys, Grade 6 junior varsity girls, and the Grade 8 varsity boys teams won their championships. The varsity boys beat St. Rita’s from Hamden, the JV boys beat St. Joseph from Meriden and the JV girls beat an undefeated St. Rita’s team. The Grade 5 boys JVN team placed third in their division.
• Beecher Road School Grade 6 students Sam Anastasio and Ava Boulton were the recipients of the 12th annual South Central Area Superintendents’ Association Student Awards at an awards ceremony at Cascade in Hamden on March 17. Their teachers, Daniel Chase and Nancy Smerekanicz, and their parents were also on hand to share the honor. The awards are presented to students who exhibit high academic achievement, strong extra-curricular involvement and an important commitment to community service.
• Six members of the Garden Club of Orange received awards at the Federated Garden Club of Connecticut luncheon held at Aqua Turf: Brenda Zandri, newsletter; Terry Azoti, newsletter and Trifold; Nancy Mellone, yearbook; Dianna DeFillippo, garden therapy; Linda Bradford, horticulture; and Marion Rizzo, Orange Town Times.
• Cole S. Bodak, son of Robin and John Bodak of Woodbridge, received a BA from Hamilton College on May 21. A Chinese and economics major, Bodak graduated with departmental honors in Chinese.