The state has reversed course and will now allow Connecticut hair salons to use blow dryers when they reopen, according to spokesperson for Gov. Ned Lamont.

Last week, the state originally said that hair salons reopening on May 20 would not be allowed to use the blow dryers, citing concerns about circulating virus particles through the air.

But on Monday evening, David Lehman, commissioner of the state Department of Economic and Community Development, said ban will now be updated to guidance saying blow drying is to be done “as needed.”

It’s a matter of balance, Lehman explained.

Science suggests hair dryers may blow viruses around in a dangerous way and the dryers have been banned in some places, such as Germany, with success. On the other hand, said Lehman, Lamont’s point person on business reopening rules, “if you’re too cautious then you’re not going to have anything happen.”

“We’re mindful of the situation where blow dryers are critical to getting your hair done in some of these communities,” Lehman said.

Dan Haar contributed to this report.