MILFORD — A judge Tuesday sentenced a New Haven man to serve a year in prison for taking part in a Christmas night home invasion on West Main Street.

Sean Artis, 33, is one of four people charged in the case, which police were tipped off to by clandestine social media messages sent by the victim.

Police said the victim, a man, told them that about 10:15 p.m. on Dec. 25, a woman he owed money to, Cassandra Vitali, and three men forced open the door of his home to collect the debt.

The suspects allegedly yelled at the victim to cough up the money he owed Vitali and ransacked his apartment.

The victim said he was terrified and messaged a friend on Facebook, and Artis allegedly said “I’m packing and if you call the police I’m going to kill you.”

The victim’s friend contacted police, who went to the home and arrested Vitali and Artis after finding them there.

Two other suspects who had left the home — Vito Badalamenti and Alex Simko — were arrested May 15.

In court Tuesday, Supervisory Assistant State’s Attorney Howard Stein said the victim initially wanted Artis to serve 10 years in prison, but then left the disposition of the case up to prosecutors because he didn’t want to testify in court.

Artis pleaded guilty July 23 to second-degree burglary with a firearm. Under the terms of a plea deal Judge Peter Brown sentenced him to 10 years of prison to be suspended after he serves a year behind bars, to be followed by four years of probation.

The prosecutor noted the victim told probation officials preparing a pre-sentence report he was dissatisfied with the sentence, and asked the judge to impose a condition barring Artis from having any contact with the man.

The victim was not in court at Tuesday’s sentencing.

His lawyer, Arthur Ledford, said Artis had been using drugs since the age of 13 and would pursue treatment.

“That’s really what’s driven him the past 20 years,” Ledford said. “Hopefully this is his opportunity to get on top of his problem.”

Artis told the judge he was “grateful for the opportunity to turn my life around.”

The judge said he was satisfied the sentence was appropriate given the circumstances.

In addition to to substance abuse and mental health treatment, the judge ordered Artis not to have any contact with the victim and undergo random urine and breath tests.

Charges remain pending against three others charged in the case.

Vitali faces charges of home invasion, conspiracy to commit home invasion, possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. She has posted $25,000 bond in the case and is scheduled to appear in court Oct. 21.

Simko and Badalamenti have pleaded guilty to conspiracy charges and are scheduled to be sentenced Oct. 25 and Nov. 12, respectively.